Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Sea Breeze, Sunshine, & Hardwork!


Good Afternoon! or as they say in Haiti, Bon Swa!
Day’s 1-3,
Jason and I made it to Haiti safely Sunday afternoon. Mission of Hope sent a ride to pick us up at the airport, but we almost jumped into the wrong vehicle. The jeep would have taken us to the opposite side of the Island….Pa Bon. (Not Good) Luckily, Ricardo, our Haitian friend recognized my bald-head from our last trip and flagged us down before we motored off into the dust.

 In Haiti, most Haitians normally refer to American’s as Bla’s or blanc’s…This means “white” or a white person. However, when riding down the road I normally hear someone in the distance shout “Tet Kale!” This means The Bald Guy. My bald head is recognized by the Haitians very fondly. Their president, Martelly, is referred to as Tet Kale. Anyway, just thought I’d pass on that interesting tidbit. 


On Monday we began helping with the new school they are building at MOH. Jason and I hammered wooden cages that will be used as forms for main support columns. Cement will be poured into these forms later in the week and will take about 7 days to cure. Once they cure, the forms will be removed and used for the next section of the column.

Later in the afternoon we headed back to the beach house where we are staying. After showering I laid down on the bed not realizing how tired I really was. The sun down here is very intense, it beats you up.  I put a random picture below from out breakfast. Gotta love fresh fruit and homemade bread!


 Today, we got up early, had a refreshing breakfast, and headed back to the school. As we walked through the gates, Pastor Lex pulled me into the office immediately. I was a bit nervous as to why, but it was to do some mechanical & technical work. I was in heaven… I started off on the phone with a Mitsubishi dealerships back in the States trying to locate a crankshaft for a blown engine on their Montero…For those out there who know me, you know that I love fixing things. While bouncing back and forth on phone calls, I was replacing a power supply on a desktop computer, looking over some laptops, and fixing whatever else I could get my hands on!

Well that’s about all I have for ya…I hope to grab the internet sometime later in the week, but until then I’m sending my Love from Haiti. Miss everyone.

Bon Swa,
--Benny!


No comments:

Post a Comment