Friday, May 18, 2012

Hammers and Heartbeats!

Hey Gents!

Haiti - Days 3-6...

Fasten your seat belts because the past couple days have been one heck of a ride. In three days I've fixed laptop computers, worked on two vehicles, driven my first Haitian motorcycle, ridden in the back of a dump-truck, saw Jason spit up his lunch over the side of the dump-truck, experienced some amazing views, and been involved in a health Clinic. Yes. A health clinic...My mom would be proud, I was taking blood pressures and everything. You'll be able to read more below! Feedback on the blog would be great :)


 So, where to start? Well the other day I explained in the blog that I had been working on some Haitian electronics. Simple stuff like replacing hard-drives and general servicing. As I worked my way through the stack of computers, it continued to grow. For a minute I was nervous half of Haiti would bring their computers to be fixed...(Okay - a bit of an overstatement, but you get the idea).



On Thursday we made our way to the school and found out we would be traveling up the mountainside to a health clinic. So we hopped into the back of dump truck with ~15 other people and hung on tight. Traveling in Haiti can only be described from first hand experience. There is a mix of adrenaline, fear, and joy all at the same time. Well I'm not sure which of those 3 words got the best of Jason, but after the 1 hour ride he leaned over the side and let loose. There went his lunch....(Sorry for the people with weak stomachs.)


When we got to the health clinic the nurses tried to find a place where I'd fit to help. Well they found just the job, counting... I was in-charge of placing ~50 Haitians inline based on their given prescription cards. Easy right? Not really. I've found that organization down here can be a bit challenging - especially when you don't speak their language. I found a young lady to interpret for me and made it work. Soon after we got the people in line they gave me another job. Record blood-pressures, temperatures, and some visible symptoms (Vitals). For those out there who don't know me, I'm not a nurse... not even close, but my mother is. She'd be proud! When I was in high-school I remember her teaching me how to record blood pressures - it was like riding a bike from there...


After lunch we cleaned up shop and headed back down the mountain. The view was gorgeous. Haiti, despite being considered a "third world country" has such an inner beauty. A beauty one may feel when present in the elements. I guess all I can say is words can't describe it.


Ok - So now I've made it to day 6, which is Friday... Woah. My days are becoming blurred. Hang on readers, I'm almost done. Friday left Jason feeling a bit under the weather so he had to stay back at the beach house to rest. I made another journey up the mountainside to work my final day with the health clinic. Same as yesterday - counted & took vitals. The fun began when I got back into town from the mountain.

When I got back I was able to drive my first Haitian motorcycle. It was quite the treat. My buddy, Ricardo, was driving at first. I leaned over his shoulder and said, "Hey - wanna let this Blanc drive your moto?" he smiled and said of course. Well I drove through the city and rode past a crowd of people who pointed and laughed. About a mile down the road I asked "why were they laughing". He quickly said, "They've never seen a Blanc (American) drive a motorcycle...especially with a Haitian on back." Well lets just say I'm happy I could give them a treat. Rode that motorcycle through a river and everything. Dad you'd enjoy the terrain down here, its wicked!


For those out there still reading, I'm impressed. (Sorry for writing so much.) This will be the last paragraph before I head to bed. Tonight was awesome. Len Gengel, the founder of the Be Like Brit organization made it to Haiti. Why is this important you might ask? Well, first he is such unique person, whom I respect very much. (If you don't know Len or haven't heard of Be like Brit, please look them up on facebook!) Secondly, he brought steaks with him from Massachusetts. Tonight we dined like kings. Steak, Potatoes, Veggies, homemade lemonade, and homemade cookies! What. A. Treat! Now that I have your mouths watering I'm going to watch the sunset.

Good night friends,

--Ben!



2 comments:

  1. Love this!! :) I'm so glad you had the opportunity to go down there again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very proud of you son!! Working at a Health Clinic!! You are one crazy Blanc- just make it home safe and in one piece!!

    ReplyDelete